Springtide is seeking a part-time Media Relations Coordinator to advance an established, successful track record of media placements that brings broad public awareness to Springtide’s research and findings. Reporting to the Director, and in collaboration with Springtide’s Head of Writing, the Media Relations Coordinator is responsible for increasing Springtide’s visibility and thought leadership via media placements in local, regional, and national outlets. The ideal candidate has experience as a religion journalist or a demonstrated track record of securing coverage with religion, secular, and trade outlets of all sizes. The ideal candidate is also skilled at partnering with cross-functional teams to offer media expertise on larger projects.
- Draft, pitch, and place stories related to Springtide’s research, partnerships, or other related work in local, regional national, and online publications.
- Coordinate interviews, draft press releases, produce rapid-response commentary, and provide journalists with timely and accurate information.
- Draft, pitch, and place opinion editorials and letters to the editor in local, regional, national, and online publications on behalf of senior staff.
- Work with key internal SMEs to brainstorm content ideas.
- Develop creative strategies for communicating with journalists in addition to and beyond traditional news releases.
- Leverage social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and relevant PR and media monitoring software.
- Monitor news themes and reporting related to religion and spirituality.
- Report on progress of media relations efforts and identify opportunities for growth and improvement.
- Work on special writing projects for Springtide’s blog, white papers, or reports as needed, and assume other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or related area or relevant work experience.
- 3–5 years of demonstrated experience in communication and media outreach. Experience in religion media and journalism preferred.
- Demonstrated deep interest in and passion for the mission of Springtide Research Institute.
- Excellent writer and editor, experienced in writing for a variety of audiences.
- Existing media relationships in national and key markets, and/or experience pitching religion-related news and events highly desired.
- Ability to consume complex concepts, often in the form of raw data, and translate them into language that is easily understood.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and successfully manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and time-management skills.
- Exceptional analytical and critical-thinking skills.
For consideration: Please send your cover letter and resume to HR@springtideresearch.org.
We recruit, develop, and retain talented people from diverse communities and foster a culture of equity and inclusion within our organization. We welcome and encourage applicants of all backgrounds and identities, and employment is based on personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, pregnancy status, public assistance status, citizenship status, genetic predisposition, age, national origin, disability, or any other protected class or characteristic as established by law. As an equal opportunity employer, we recognize that our strength lies in our people and in our common commitment to serving the needs of young people and those who care for them.